This photo was taken in Misoula, not Parkdale, but it's sooooooooo cute! Go firefighter! The kitten was found in a fire, given oxygen and love, and recovered. The firefighters named her smoky!
The following story is about a life-saving cat, who warned his owner about a house fire, and it happened right by my house! I wonder if I've seen this Hero-cat around?
Wednesday February 4, 2009 - Residents of a street in Parkdale have a cat to thank for their lives after a fire broke out in a semi-detached house overnight.
The blaze began at about 4am Wednesday in the Spencer Ave. home near King and Dufferin Sts. and quickly spread to a neighbouring residence. A man called 9-1-1 after his beloved pet woke him up.
"My cat jumped on the bed, believe it or not, and woke me up," Rob noted. "I smelled a bit of smoke, looked outside and a burst of flame came flying from the window next door on the second floor. I grabbed my roommates and said, 'Fire! Fire!' Yelled it, called 9-1-1."
Nearby buildings were also evacuated. Residents and their pets were sheltered in a nearby apartment lobby as fire crews made quick work of the blaze.
Fortunately no one was injured. There's no word yet on what sparked the flames.
I always knew Parkdale cats were special!